Monday, June 1, 2009

Rocket Derby

Logan had his rocket derby for cub scouts. We got the rocket 3 weeks ahead of time to build it but when did it get put together? The day before of course. James never did it so finally Logan and I did it. We were out side trying to follow the instructions when I saw the missionaries walking by and I yelled Missionaries come and help. They came right over and sanded it down, so the shape was done, then we had to cut the wings, paint and put all the other stuff on. They didn't stay around for that they had better things to do, the nerve. :). We got it done hopefully the right way. I didn't glue anything in case it was wrong, James didn't get home till 9:30 so I had him check it out and then glue it. We went to the derby and Logan did one race and came in 3rd and said lets go, I said lets just wait a while, well he got to do 5 races, he came in 1st 2 times and 3rd 3 times. He was really feeling good about it. But what I figured out was that you just had to spin it more. THe leaders would wind it 30 times with their machine but if you gave it to them a little twisted already it would go further. You know I'm that kind of mom , do anything to make my kids win. We had fun. It was a long night but worth it. Thanks for all the work scout leaders do.

1 comment:

bjohnston said...

I love getting the missionaries to do the sanding for you--that's the worst part.

One Pine Wood Derby Kimball and I made a Spongebob car hours before the race. It involved minimal effort as Spongebob looks just like a square block of wood.